Sharon Dodua Otoo was born in London to parents who were from Accra, Ghana. After she finished high school in 1992, she travelled to Hanover, Germany where she stayed for a year to work as an au pair and developed an interest in the German language.

Back in London, Otoo studied German and Management Studies at the University of London and graduated with a BA in 1997. She then returned to Germany and has lived there ever since. For the past 15 years, she’s has been living in Berlin with her four sons.

On her website https://about.me/sharonotoo, she says the following:

“I typically describe myself as a Black British mother, activist, author and editor. Black is deliberately written with a capital B.

Parenting is the single most important thing I do. With each child I have, I hope to get better at it.

Apart from that, I edit the book series Witnessed. Editing is something I like doing a lot. I love writing though.

My first novella the things i am thinking while smiling politely was published in February 2012 edition assemblage). The German language translation die dinge, die ich denke, während ich höflich lächle by Mirjam Nuenning, appeared in October 2013. My latest novella Synchronicity was illustrated by Sita Ngoumou (and again translated into German by Mirjam) appeared in August 2014 and was published in English at the end of 2015 with the title Synchronicity – the original story. The German language translations are now available in Fischer Verlag.

…and I like hard-boiled eggs.